Catholic Community Services
Catholic Community Services is the largest private human services agency in Western Washington, serving over 100,000 people each year. Ninety percent of those served are at or below the poverty level.
For more information please visit http://www.ccsww.org or call the CCSWW Tahoma Center at 253.383.3697.
CCS is always looking for foster parents and respite foster parents. Foster parents and respite foster parents will receive stipends. Spanish speakers needed. Call 253.502.2745. Para información específica del Programa Internacional de Cuidado de Crianza, llame al 253.502.2663.
Nativity House is located at the south end of St. Leo Church parking lot. Volunteers are welcome seven days a week between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm, including weekends and holidays. Nativity House contains a day and night shelter, a meal site, and 50 units of permanent housing. CCS is the most comprehensive and compassionate outreach to people experiencing homelessness in the Greater Tacoma area. Volunteer opportunities:
- Line Server - Help serve hot meals to guests.
- Food Preparation - Help prepare meals.
- In-Kind Donation processing and distribution – Help process and distribute in-kind donations such as personal hygiene products, toiletries, socks and blankets.
For more information on pastoral care volunteer needs and opportunities, contact the Volunteer Coordinator – Homeless Adult Services at 253.365.4111.
Family Housing Network
Family Housing Network (FHN) empowers homeless and at-risk families to achieve and maintain permanent housing by helping them gain skills and overcome barriers to self-sufficiency. FHN is open seven days a week.
5050 S. Tacoma Way
Tacoma, WA 98409
Volunteer opportunities include shelter host, office work, laundry and child care.
- Host Site Dinner Volunteer
- Overnight Host
- Host Site Set-up/Take-down
If you would like to learn more about volunteer opportunities, call the Volunteer Coordinator at 253.471.5340 ext. 24.
Volunteer Services assists low-income elders and adults with disabilities by providing volunteers to help with household tasks so that clients may stay in their own homes. Volunteer Services serves elders ages 60 or older, and adults with disabilities over 18. Services are provided free of charge.
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- Drivers: Transports to and from medical appointments and grocery shopping.
- Household Helper: Assists the client in maintaining home and doing general cleaning laundry and other tasks.
- Yard Care Helper: Helps maintain yard around client's home.
- Pet Care: Takes pets for a walk or to the vet, or feeds pets while the senior is not at home.
For more information, please call 253.502.2741.